For enthusiasts and researchers of the Great Eastern Railway

‘No. 230 Class’ 0-4-0T 1878

230

Through the GER's lease of the London & Blackwall Railway, it became involved in the operation of the Millwall Extension Railway from Millwall Junction to North Greenwich - now part of the Docklands Light Railway. Although under two miles long, it was split into four sections owned by three different companies. Steam locomotives were not allowed over the middle sections crossing the East & West India Docks and Millwall Docks, due to the fire risk to ships' sails. The Millwall Dock to North Greenwich section was owned and operated by the GER, and opened in 1872. It was initially operated by the 2-4-0T rebuild of the ECR 'light locomotive' Ariel's Girdle. In 1878 this engine needed replacement, and the GER purchased a standard street tramway engine from Kitson & Co., which was given the number 230.

In 1880, the Dock companies' insurers relented, and allowed steam locomotives over the whole line. The existing wooden swing bridges over the dock entrances were strengthened, and the Millwall Dock Co. took responsibility for operating the whole line with their own small locomotives. Thus, No. 230 was redundant. It was not officially withdrawn until 1884 and, even then, it remained intact at Stratford until 1889, when it was rebuilt as the machinery for the Carriage Works traverser. It continued in use thus until the 1930s, when it was replaced by an electric motor.

This site uses cookies to maintain logged-in status and other essential functions.