For enthusiasts and researchers of the Great Eastern Railway

‘No. 477 Class’ 0-6-0 1871-1873

477-526

 

7002 29GERS Collection 7002 29

 

The fifty ‘No. 477 Class’ 0-6-0 goods engines were a slightly-enlarged version of Johnson’s earlier ‘No. 417 Class’, and had six- instead of four-wheel tenders. This is No. 487, built by Beyer, Peacock & Co. in January 1872 posing in front of the Stratford Works Erecting Shop when virtually new. It was reboilered with a standard Holden boiler in 1893 and was withdrawn in 1900. Behind is the Polygon signal box which survived basically unaltered until after the Second World War.