For enthusiasts,researchers and modellers of the Great Eastern Railway

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lavenham signal query 4 months 3 weeks ago #667

I attach photos of the up signal at Lavenham. Can anyone explain the function of the wire which seems to be attached to the counterbalance arm.
It would not appear to be the operating wire for the signal itself as it is on the wrong side of the pivot. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any photos taken from the front of the signal, only this rear view.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Keith Turbutt
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lavenham signal query 4 months 2 weeks ago #676

Keith,

I am not, by any means,  a signalling expert. However I would assume it is either part of the interlocking to prevent the signal being erroneously cleared or possibly the remnants of a fog detonator system.

There is a fuzzy image of the SB diagram here but it doesn’t shed any detailed light. You might find the Interlocking diagram on the GERS website but regret I am not sure where.

www.lner.info/forums/download/file.php?i...b85ecfd236&mode=view

Last edit: by Paul Godwin (Godders53).

Lavenham signal query 4 months 1 week ago #682

Paul,
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a fog detonator system. However I think we can be sure that the attached wire is not directly involved with the operation of the semaphore arm.

One further question remains. Are we looking at an upper quadrant signal post or a lower quadrant? I had assumed it was UQ as the photos we have, assumed to be BR period, and the position of the 'sighting boards' behind the semaphore arms would suggest this. However I see that Nigel Burbidge has used lower quadrant on his lovely model of Elmam Market, which is Lavenham in all but name. 

Lavenham signal query 4 months 1 week ago #683

Hi Keith, many thanks for your kind comments about Elmham Market.  One of the great things about changing the name is that one can take liberties when one fancies it.  I like the Saxby and Farmer lower quadrant signals often employed by the GER (and many lasted into the 1950’s) so decided to fit Elmham Market with them. By the 1950’s Lavenham was almost certainly upper quadrant.  I say almost certainly because, whilst I haven’t seen any close ups of the signal arms, the white sighting rectangles painted on the overbridges at either end of the station would have been ideally placed for upper quadrant but sadly misplaced for lower quadrant signals.
best wishes
Nigel

Lavenham signal query 4 months 1 week ago #684

Thanks Nigel.

The picture you posted, John, appears in the Disused Stations website run by Nick Catford. There is another shot there which shows signal cables under the bridge running towards the camera - there were two signals on that side which were for trains coming from behind the cameraman (I don’t know my Up and Down there!)

There is also a confirmatory shot of the signal in question being UQ in 1959.

See here:  disused-stations.org.uk/l/lavenham/index.shtml

The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Turbutt (Keith Turbutt)

Lavenham signal query 1 month 6 days ago #775

My guess is that it operates a miniature repeater arm, possibly for Fogmen use.

Chris C (559)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Turbutt (Keith Turbutt)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds