For enthusiasts and researchers of the Great Eastern Railway

Carriages at Liverpool Street

photo01Liverpool Street

This photograph originally appeared in a supplement to the Railway Gazette dated 1 October 1920 entitled "GER The Last Word in Steam Operated Suburban Train Services". This described the improved suburban services introduced on 12 July 1920 for the Chingford, Enfield and Palace Gates services. (A reprint of this supplement is available from the GERS Sales) The two carriages shown are the wide six-a-side stock, introduced in 1899. First 568 was built in March 1903 and was withdrawn as LNER 6207 in January 1936 from the North Woolwich-Victoria Park service. Second 670 of October 1903 became LNER 6732 and was converted to third 60189 in about 1930, in which form it lasted until 1935-36.

Both carriages are in the crimson livery, introduced by the GER in 1919. This fact is easily determined from a black and white photograph because a new lettering style was adopted. The bold shaded block characters were replaced by a neat serifed style and the most pronounced feature was the use of appreciably smaller class numerals on the lower door panels. As with the shade of crimson lake used these numerals were remarkably similar to those used by the Midland Railway from 1907 onwards.

A particular feature of these services was the use of a yellow stripe on the upper panels of the first and blue on the second class. Although the Railway Gazette caption to this suggests the second class carriage had the blue stripe, this does not appear to be the case since the running number still appeared on the upper panel, a practice followed for suburban stock for many years.

 

Caption by: John Watling
Photograph: GERS Collection

Liverpool Street 'Yard'

photo02

This photograph shows two locomotives standing in what was known as the "Yard" at Liverpool Street Station; the two sidings between platforms 9 and 10. These two sidings and the platform roads continued beneath the Great Eastern Hotel. The nearest track is platform 10, with an unidentified R24R class 0-6-0T on 10A Road, probably engaged as West Side Pilot. Next to it on No 9A is D56 class 4-4-0 1854, one of the original Belpaire boiler engines built in 1903-4.

 

Caption by: Lyn D Brooks
Photograph: GERS Collection/courtesy Les Peters

Liverpool Street Approaches

photo10

 

Pindar Street overbridge dominates this August 1911 view of the ends of platforms 1 to 4 at Liverpool Street. In the centre foreground is the release dock for platform 3, showing the engine inspection pit, water column and trap points. A train bound for Palace Gates stands in the platform, headed by an R24R (J-69) 0-6-0T, unusually working bunker first.

Platform 3 is also occupied by a similar engine with the same destination exhibited on the bunker but the headcode is incomplete, lacking the disc over the left-hand buffer as displayed by the engine on platform four. The headcode displayed - a single white disc over the coupling - had no meaning in 1911. To the left is a diagram 32 eight-plank loco coal wagon stands at the timber coal stage which serves the engine docks between platforms 4 and 5.

Note the signals guarding the entrance to platforms 1 to 4; a similar pair was positioned for platforms 5 and 6. The lettering on the arms "L" or "S" mean "from Local or Suburban Lines" and is followed by the platform number.

 

Photograph: GERS Collection
Caption by John Watling and Lyn D Brooks

Bas Relief Brickwork Images

bas1

There are a number of carvings or architectural remains located in the Pedley Street Arch of the Bishopsgate viaduct on the way into Liverpool Street station.

These are bas relief carved brick representations of railway subjects and depict cherub-like forms engaged in various railway jobs and trades. They were salvaged from the East Side of Liverpool Street station when the Broadgate development was constructed.

Unfortunately, they were not incorporated into the new station. Their present location perhaps does not do them justice and leaves them exposed to the ravages of the weather and the environment.

The railway-related subjects that were identified in the original installation were:

  • a fireman (that is, the chap who put the coal in the firebox of a steam locomotive)
  • a porter
  • a signalman
  • a surveyor using a theodolite
  • another surveyor
  • a Great Eastern Railway ship
  • a Great Eastern Railway steam locomotive - possibly class T26 2-4-0 tender engine

At least two of these - which are described as 'brick lunettes' - appear on page 74 of the Academy Editions book on Liverpool Street Station published in 1978. Academy Editions published the book on behalf of the historic buildings section of the Greater London Council. See here:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?bt.x=0&bt.y=0&kn=Academy+Editions+Liverpool+Street&sts=t

The pictures here are of three of the sculptures which have been privately preserved.

bas2

bas3